The Challenge of Homeschooling Multiple Ages
As a homeschooler with children of various ages, I am always looking for options and resources which will allow me to include multiple children in our subjects. I was offered a gem in the Habitats Lapbook by Elemental Science, and three of my four children were thrilled to work on this lapbook together. (Pssst! There’s a giveaway at the end of the review!)
Working on the Habitats Lapbook
This is a wonderful first lapbook, or a lapbook that can be successfully completed and enjoyed by young elementary students and even preschoolers. My three younger children– a 3rd grader, Kindergartner and preschooler– loved working on the four mini-books and extension activities and even my youngest was able to work almost completely independent of me, a big plus in my book! Elemental Science has made an excellent resource that allows for Mom to be a facilitator and children to have significant ownership in their finished product.
The Habitats Lapbook is divided into four sections to be completed over four weeks– Grassland, Forest, Arctic, and Desert– with templates, vocabulary, extension activities and book suggestions. The lapbook was set up almost as a mini unit study and I loved that I could use as much or as little of the supplementary suggestions as we had available in the time we had in our weekly schedule. While I didn’t have all of the books on the list, for example, I used other similar titles from our home library and could easily search the library as well. This was a major plus in my book!
The extension activities, one per week, included a suggested documentary, art projects, and a diorama. My boys especially loved the desert diorama. They were very proud of their finished product! I think there will be more of these in our homeschool science going forward, and I’m excited that there are more Elemental Science lapbooks where this one came from!
Benefits of the Habitats Lapbook
- I am not a science mom; it’s not so much my thing. So while we do it regularly, I’m more into reading about it than hands-on activities. My younger children, though, loved the hands-on nature of the Habitats Lapbook and begged to work on it on more than one occasion. And as I mentioned above, they were able to do most of the work themselves!
- Easy time commitment. This lapbook required four weeks to complete, but I think a homeschool family could easily do two of the habitats in one week and cut it down to two weeks total, or extend it to eight weeks and dig in even deeper!
- Flexibility. While the spine of this curriculum is very simple, concrete and well-laid out, there is wiggle room to bring in more or leave something out. For example, my oldest did to walk your dog on her own and the feeding thing. As a more relaxed homeschooler, I loved this flexibility!
- Wide age range. I did not intend to do this with my 3rd grader, but she was super excited to work on it with us. The different reading level suggestions were perfect for including her as well.
Habitats Lapbook giveaway!
Now for the fun part! Elemental Science has agreed to provide one lucky reader with the Habitats Lapbook for use in her own schooling. You’re planning for the next homeschool year, right? What a perfect and easy addition to your science curriculum!
To enter, simply leave a comment below to say “hi”!
For additional entries, you can:
- Check out the Elemental Science website (there is much more in the way of curricula and lapbook studies to browse through!) and tell me which product you like best.
- Follow Elemental Science on Twitter
- Subscribe to Fruit in Season for more homeschool and faith-filled goodness.
Please remember to leave a comment for each entry! Giveaway will close on Sunday night, June 3rd, at midnight. The winner will have two days (until midnight on Tuesday the 5th) to reply. Make sure you include an valid email address with your comments.
Tomorrow, stop by Tabitha’s blog to read about her experience with Earth Science Grammar Stage. She’ll be having a giveaway as well! Be sure to visit Carlie’s blog review from yesterday to learn about Lapbooking through Animals. (Another giveaway- you can get your whole science year covered this week!)
I received this product for the purpose of review and was compensated for my time. However, I only give honest opinions here and stand behind each product; I am not required to give a positive review. See my disclosure policy for more details.